Home >> Forums >> Technology >> Navigational Shielding/Deflector

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Darryl Hendricks Derail 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Darryl Hendricks
    Derail
    Participant

Hey guys,

Question, is there some type of navigational deflector? The only reason I thought of this is because I was watching First Contact with the shoot out on the deflector scene. Now I don’t know if anyone has noticed but Starfleet ships are the only one’s that have them. No other starship whether BSG, Lost in Space or Andromeda has it. What’s CoM’s take on this?

Profile photo of Pharthan
    Pharthan

Hey Derail, great question.

While warping spacetime for FTL, anything in front of the ship is pulled around the ship, or the ship is thrust around larger objects, so FTL-collisions aren’t an issue. Obviously they want to calculate that they aren’t going to hit planets, but for smaller objects and debris, less so.

Outside of FTL travel, nearly any should would have a degree of gravity shield to protect them.

Profile photo of Josheua
    Josheua
    Keymaster

To build off of David’s point, some of this simple shielding would follow the same sort of function of the deflector shield/deflector in star trek. While you might not need a projector like you have in Star Trek, you could still get a similar effect using a lower energy state for the ship’s FTL and/or the Ship’s Shields.

Profile photo of Darryl Hendricks
    Derail
    Participant

Ok thanks guys

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.