Home >> Forums >> Stories >> Writing for Beginners

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Pharthan Pharthan 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Pharthan
    Pharthan
    Participant

<h1 style=”text-align: center;”><span style=”color: #ff9900;”>Writing: Beginners</span></h1>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>[Work in Progress]<br />
    Some people have expressed an interest in writing stories. Great! Feel free to post them. Even if they don’t become canon immediately, they can be revised and worked on. None of us (so far) are professional writers yet and we don’t expect your first drafts to be great by any means (we’d be surprised if they were!)</p>
    <h2 style=”text-align: center;”>How do I start?</h2>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>Every story begins with an idea. If you don’t know where to start, write what you know. What have you done in life? “Nothing, I don’t lead an interesting life!” Nonsense! Write what the analog-you would be doing 1,400 years from now, and then put your future-self in a tricky situation; no one knows better what it is like to be you than you. If you’re a 15 year old in High School, no one knows what it’s like to be a 15 year old in High School better than you. If you need help with this, we’ll be happy to brainstorm with you!</p>
    <h2 style=”text-align: center;”>Does my story have to be about CoM?</h2>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>No, it doesn’t. If it doesn’t fit within the CoM-verse (it doesn’t have to be 3417-ish time either), it obviously will never be canon, but everyone needs practice.</p>
    <h2 style=”text-align: center;”>How long can the piece be?</h2>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>How long do you want it to be?</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>You can go anywhere from a few paragraphs – a flash-fiction – to entire full length novels in the hundreds of thousands of words. What we are right now looking for is short-stories, which are generally better for practicing on</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>Be aware there are lot more things you have to deal with the longer you get. You need a lot more characters (each character should have no less than 750 words associated with them, unless the story is shorter than that (flash fiction))</p>
    <h2 style=”text-align: center;”>Okay, I’ve got an idea and I’ve got a length, now what?</h2>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>Outline</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>”But I don’t want to outline!”</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Okay, you don’t have to. If you don’t outline, that’s called Discovery Writing. There is nothing wrong with this, but it’s generally a good idea to outline at least a bit.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>What’s an outline? Figure out what major things are going to happen in the story. These events should do the following:</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>Ask Questions. Make the reader curious. These questions could be like “Wait, what’s he doing with gravity?”and making the reader want to know more about Technomancy, or they could be things hinting at past or future events.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>Answer Question & Fulfill Promises.  If you’re going to give the reader a nudge that they’re going to see something cool, deliver! Fulfilling promises is what keeps people reading.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>Plot Character Development. When does MC make a breakthrough? How are they changing? What about side characters? Character development is, according to Steven King </p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>One method of writing is to create an outline, and then start expanding upon that outline, filling it in, little by little until voila! You have a story! This helps to keep things very structured. Structure is good.</p>
    <h2 style=”text-align: center;”>There Will Be Sacrifices</h2>
    <p>Not everything you write will be great. It will feel right at the time, but then as you progress in skill you realize, “Eh, this scene doesn’t work.” You might delete entire chapters in revision. It will happen. If you come across one person saying, “eh, this doesn’t work,” you can consider keeping it. If eveyone hates it, or says, “I had to push my way through this scene,” figure out why you had to write it, gather what you can from it, cut out the rest, and figure out another way to deliver that key point.</p>
    <p>Some of your scenes may have no purpose at all and can be cut at will. Now – keep in mind some scenes only serve to flesh out characters, and that’s fine.</p>
    <h2 style=”text-align: center;”>Have Specific Goals</h2>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>”I will write something today.”</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>Your goal on a daily basis isn’t to write a novel. It’s to spent 30 minutes, and hour, two, every day, every other day, in your works. That doesn’t mean you make progress. You might spend a week writing things you eventually delete. You’re still progressing, after a fashion – you’re figuring what works and what doesn’t. You’re refining. </p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”> </p>
    <h2 style=”text-align: center;”>Make Achievable Goals</h2>
    <p>Short term, acheivable goals are important. “Today, I finish this scene.” “This week, I finish this chapter.” You may make a word-count target – this may or may not work. You might be daunted by the goal when you find</p>
    <h2 style=”text-align: center;”>Be Prepared to Fail</h2>
    <p>We may not canonize your work at first. Your work may not get published at first. Every writer has failed. A rejection letter is just a hiccup. A lot of rejections? Well, maybe your work isn’t any good. That’s not the same as you being any good. That writing is just a part of you that needs some work. Maybe you need to try a different story. Maybe a different style of genre.</p>
    <h2 style=”text-align: center;”>Base Your Affirmations in Fact</h2>
    <p>Not all of your work will be great. You’re not the greatest writer ever. But that one sentence you wrote, wher you captured exactly how your character feels? That was great. Hold onto that, and those moments. Build on them. Figure out why that worked, and continue with it.</p>
    <h2 style=”text-align: center;”>Be Responsible</h2>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>This is your work.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>Just because someone doesn’t like something doesn’t mean it’s bad. If a lot of people don’t like something about your book, sure, it might be bad. But this is your work. This is your story. Your name gets tagged along with the title. Your opinion counts. If only one person doesn’t like it? Well, if you like it, figure out why you like it. Make sure that reason is a good one, and own that.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: center;”> </p>

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.