Home >> Forums >> Technology >> Psionics

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nolan Nolan 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Darryl Hendricks
    Derail
    Participant

Hey Josh, question….what is your take on psionics ranging from telepathy, telekinesis to psycho imaginary (which could fall into biomancy/nanomancy)?

Profile photo of Josheua
    Josheua
    Keymaster

Hey Derail. 

While there isn’t a biological analog of this, there are a lot of technical options that can serve those functions. Neural bridges serve to allow human to brain interfaces with computer networks. These networks can also be used to allow communication between individuals.

An advanced datamancer could tap into these networks and connections and even use it against someone. A biomancer would be more capable of adapting the mind, influencing it rather than reading it. Adjusting neurotransmitter concentration or even interrupting pathways and such with biotoxins. A nanomancer would be able to create physical links between the neural bridge, but that would be more tapping into the datastream rather than true telekinesis. 

So in a sense, telekinesis is a thing and it isn’t a thing. It’s more like hacking into a computer than holding up your hand and reading one’s mind however.

Derail
    Participant

Ok because I was thinking of the various technomancers that have some sort of connection to psionics. Considering the untapped potential of the human mind and combination of 36th century tech. Also I am working on my star nation and I was also considering creating a race of humans with animal DNA. What are your thoughts?

Profile photo of Josheua
    Josheua
    Keymaster

We’ve had a discussion about that in the past with humans and animal DNA mixing. It really wouldn’t work 100%. You could do cosmetic changes for individuals or even cosmetic changes for a small group of people, but a big genetic shake up of the human genome or modification of the Human Genome to splice human genes together with other genes is – while possible – frowned upon and largely difficult. When you start doing that stuff, you end up losing embryonic vitality quickly – look at all the hybrid animals that are sterile. Some nations outlaw it forthright – the Alliance and Eirangard.

Now what is possible is to enhance natural human genetics. Many frown upon this, but a lot of star nations have descendence who are part of genetically modified human pools. In the early days of the Human Continuity Project, human colonists were often genetically modified to make their bodies fit for their homeworld. That is why Eirangardians – with their harsh and heavy gravity world – are bulky and towering figures. Other worlds’ colonist might also be modified, but the extent of that modification is something we’d need to talk about before saying 100% yes.  

As for the psionics, as I said its more based on hacking and data collection than true psychic powers. Of course, humans with neural bridges could communicate wordlessly through their implants if desired and some cultures or groups might be completely open to this as their principle form of communication.

Hope that help! 

NOTE: Moved to Technology Section

Derail
    Participant

Ok thanks 

Profile photo of Nolan
    Nolan
    Participant

The issue is long-decided, but I had an idea for those of you who want anthromorphic people:

I’d actually suggest that any superficial changes to one’s appearance should be undertaken through cyberprosthetics and plastic surgery. I have a subculture in Gaennan who enjoys modding themselves to look like various humanistic-fantasy races: elves, Shadowrun orcs, animal people (think neko/kitsune/doggomimi’s), and so on. Their DNA hasn’t changed, but they possess the vestigial traits of whatever species they’re trying to emulate. It’s not entirely foreign to see someone walking down the street with long elvish ears or working cat ears and tail, though they’re seen as any other subgroup – odd or quirky, if not entirely strange.

Furries, on the other hand, are entirely unwelcome in Gaennan. And Ishara. And the Empyrean See, too, come to think of it.

But, if you must, you could have your characters extract their brain, put it into a cybernetic brain case, and then wear an android furry-body. That’s perfectly doable, though… Eh. What am I saying. You do what you want with your people. If you want them, that’s a possible route should you want anthromorphic people (and David give the green light).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.