This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Pharthan Pharthan 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Gryphorim
    Gryphorim
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m new here, so I’m not really used to the format. I wanted to post some design elements I had wanted to add to a new fledgeling nation, and make sure I’m not stepping on any toes.

First and foremost, I’d like to adapt material I had created for an independent IP, where possible. Would this be allowable? Also, if I were to develop that IP again, would that have any impact on what I do here?

As for the nation itself, I’d like for it to be very far-flung, at the outer limits of inhabited space. Far flung to the galactic east, taking it’s name from the constellation that marks the direction of the Pact in relation to Sol.

Formed from the interaction of three founding colonies, the Pact is borne out of several major conflicts between these founders, eventually arriving at a mutual peace in response to effectively being “rediscovered” by the wider humanity already established.

Originally intended to be a democratic meritocracy, the government has, through nepotism, corruption and at one time, widespread public adoration of a specific leader, reformed into a constitutional monarchy, with clearly defined aristocracy and social stratification.

On one of the founding worlds, a lack of terraforming infrastructure, and lax regulation of genetics law, modification of the human genome to better adapt to their world (colder, with dimmer daylight, as said world orbits a K-type star at the outer edge of the habitable zone) has lead to the creation of a distinct race of modified humans, identifiable by individuals having feathers where baseline humans would grow hair, larger eyes better adapted to low daytime peak insolation and better night vision, but otherwise pass for humans. This tampering with genetics led to one of the aforementioned conflicts within what would become the Pact, as well as racism, exploitation and counter-culture movements as years have passed.

Economically, as the Pact is slightly coreward relative to Sol, many of the terrestrial worlds in their region are small and airless, but the region is materially very rich. Thus, only 2 in 5 of the Pact’s population live planet-side, with the greater fraction living aboard one of many orbital city-stations.

Militarily, the Pact boasts a small Navy, though perhaps top-heavy, with an over-emphasis for it’s size on Ships-of-the-Line, a carry over from the years following “rediscovery” and the militant paranoia of the era.

Their ships are well outfitted, but probably make use of outdated technology as used by other nations. I’m thinking a Ship of the Line having railguns, chemical propellant for smaller point defence weapons, lasers, a few limited particle-beam-weapons, and a host of missile/torpedo types. If possible, I’d like their ships of the line to boast a weapon that uses MAG-Drive tech, but that is discussed over in the Tech forum.

Since rediscovery, the Pact has undergone aggressive cultural reformation, as the people of the pact feel that they are being left behind culturally and technologically, and are rapidly assimilating new technologies and practices derived from other nations, where accessible. This has caused some friction, however, as some within the Pact see this as abandonment of their own unique culture.

that’s what I’ve got so far, presented to everyone here for scrutiny to determine what stays and what has just got to go.
    Comments, critique and criticism all welcome. What do you think?

Profile photo of Pharthan
    Pharthan

Honestly right now the Eastern side of our map is getting rather crowded, but the Western side is relatively empty.

Exotic materials are allowed, they would just have to be canonized.

As for the genetic modifications, I get why they could be needed, but I don’t see the point of feathers. That’s a signifcant change that would have to go through tens of thousands of people flawlessly without sterilizing them, just to create a viable populace. More hair, more durable and thicker folicles, etc. would be a much easier modification as it requires tweaking existing code instead of replacing it. 

Gryphorim
    Participant

The feathers as a feature are an artifact from adapting the sub-species from the other IP. I’d happily change it to a cosmetic element that was at one time popular, (again due to lax regulation) that has entered the gene pool due to widespead adoption, or the influence of an errant virus. If that doesn’t work, it’ll just be a current cultural trend.

I’ll look at other regions for the Pact to exist in, but I did have a soft spot for Crux.

What did you mean by exotic materials?

Pharthan

The problem with feathers specifically is that in changing your DNA that much, you generally sterilize yourself. In “current day” CoM of 3418, you could have this, but it’d have to be performed on each person individually, and wouldn’t be passed down genetically (primarily because, as mentioned – sterility). Major changes to the human genome aren’t really possible for a whole populace. You might be able to make the hair follicles feathery, almost like a down, but we aren’t talking full-bird level feathers here.

As a current cultural trend, that’s totally doable. It would probably be more of a status symbol for the feathers to be grown, but I could see implant-feathers being a thing for less-rich folk. 

Exotic materials would be more of the “special” materials that do various interesting things, some of which would be unexplainable by modern science; i.e. exotic matter is required for lining DMR cores. We aren’t looking for full Unobtanium level stuff, but new types of materials are allowed within reason. We aren’t going for hard-science, but we want to approximate it.

Gryphorim
    Participant

Cultural thing it is, then.

Regarding exotic matter, I’m more curious where that entered this conversation. Was it in discussing the weapons on their cruisers?

Pharthan

Rereading your first post, I realized exactly where it came from.

I misunderstand where you said you wanted to “adapt material.” I initially read that as you meaning a material, not concepts, but actual matter and compounds.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.